Villenova, meaning new village, originally the southern part of Hanover, was taken off as a separate town by an act of January 24, 1823. Its area is 22,826 acres. In the north part the surface is hilly, the highest lands having an altitude of 1,400 feet above tide water. The inhabitants follow agricultural pursuits, including dairying to a considerable extent, to which the surface and soil are adapted. The two branches of the Conewango creek join near the southeast corner of the town, and they receive the waters of a number of small streams which arise in the northern uplands and of the outlets of Mud Lake and East Mud Lake. The last named body of water is within Villenova, while the possession of Mud Lake is divided with Arkwright. In the southern part of the town the surface is rolling rather than broken and hilly, with soil of clay and a gravelly loam. The town is a great producer of apples. Villenova has felt the effects of the disposition of the rising generations of people, since the pioneer days to leave the rural regions, especially in this part of the country, as it has had a net loss in population since 1835. In that year the population was 1,453. The population (State census of 1915) 1,148, including 26 aliens. It must be remembered, however, that Villenova is an inland town without railroads. There are four villages in the town, Balcomb, Hamlet, Villenova and Wango. The value of real estate in the town in 1918 was placed at $593,135; the assessed value, $465,357.